Re: [Groff] multi-line headers/footers

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] multi-line headers/footers
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 16:47:11 +0000

On 6 December 2011 16:17, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>> Yes, I know. I am absolutely new to troff and have been trying to do
>> just that -- poring over the manual pages, the O'Reilly book"Unix
>> Text Processing", etc.  Sometimes the macro names, etc. that I need
>> are less than obvious, at least to me.  I had been searching for
>> anything having to do with "header" or "footer" and missed that
>> "title" might be the ticket.
>
> If you can suggest improvements in groff.texinfo, please do so!

The OP had already been pointed to .tl as as a suitable request for
setting his header and footer text.  The texinfo manual describes the
.lt request *immediately* below the description of .tl itself.  However,
it might be worthwhile adding a forward reference from .tl to .lt, to
point out that it is the latter, rather than .ll, which controls the
line length when setting text with .tl; wording something like:

  Note that line length set by the .ll request is not honoured by
  .tl; use the .lt request (described below) instead, to control
  line length for text set by .tl

should suffice.

Keith.