Re: [Groff] multi-line headers/footers

From: maouinin
Subject: Re: [Groff] multi-line headers/footers
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 00:14:58 -0800 (PST)

ted.harding-3 wrote:

> On 20-Nov-11 08:26:15, maouinin wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible with or without macro packages, etc. to get
>> multi-line headers in groff? I have been able to do this
>> in LaTeX with the fancyheaders package, but I can't seem to
>> figure out how to do it (or if it is even possible) in groff.
>>
>> Thanks
>> --
>
> It is certainly possible, but how to do it depends on how you
> want the header to be formatted.
>
> Would you be using numbered headers, for sections, sub-sections
> and so on?
>
> Would you want the second and subsequent lines of the header to
> be indented relative to the first line, whether numbered or not?
>
> If so, and if it is a numered header, would you want the indentation
> to be aligned with the start of the text (i.e. following the number)
> in the first line?
>
> And so on ...
>
> Please tell us more about what you want to achieve.
>
> Ted.

> E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
> Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
> Date: 20-Nov-11                                       Time: 08:46:40

Hello, and thank you for your reply.

Ralph was correct. I may not have been clear in my original post, but
I was speaking of page headers and footers. I think you were referring to
headings.

I am very new to groff.  I want to use groff to set test papers
and I need to put more information in the headers than I am able to put into
one line. I have used the .PH macro from mm, but as far as I can tell, it
is limited to one line. I like the left/center/right format and would like
keep that if possible.

Thanks again.