Re: [Groff] Installing Russian Type-1 Fonts

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: Re: [Groff] Installing Russian Type-1 Fonts
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 23:09:02 +0400

Just as I thought I have finished the patch, I found
out I was wrong about the following piece:

Werner LEMBERG:

> > Therefore, I suppose that groff applies the  ex-
> > isting  character  translations inversely to get
> > back to some simple characters.   Then,  hyphen-
> > ation codes can be computed and compared against
> > the hyphenation patterns.
>
> Yes.

Looks like I was wrong here. .hcode allows to assign
hyphenation  codes  directly  to character entities.
Futhermore, it seems to be  working  on  glyph  name
level,  because  its  odd  parameter can be just any
string. Only if no hyphenation character is assigned
to a glyph, will groff try to convert it back to the
original input character and look  for  the  hyphen-
ation code of the latter.

Therefore,  the  input  character mapping file (like
koi8-r.tmac) is not necessary for UTF-8 input.  Just
set hyphenation codes directly:

    .hcode  x

Anton