Re: [Groff] Installing Russian Type-1 Fonts

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: Re: [Groff] Installing Russian Type-1 Fonts
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 00:38:55 +0400

Werner LEMBERG:

> This is not possible.  How shall come a glyph-only
> object into existence?  I  don't  count  ligatures
> and similar things here since they also need input
> characters to exist.
> [...]
> Well, \N'...' is kind of a glyph-only object,  but
> by its very definition you can't hyphenate it.

What  about a \[u0430] coming from a UTF-8 file pro-
cessed by preconv? What corresponding input  charac-
ter  does it have provided no character translations
were used?

> Well, yes, right. I would call it a feature, since
> no  real-world  documents are affected in any way.
> Do you want to document it?

Frankly, yes :) -- add a warning to the  description
of the .tr request. Especially so, because there are
examples in the  manual  in  which  the  mapping  is
changed  and  then  "restored" back. The user should
know the side effect of this operation.

Anton