Re: [Groff] Installing Russian Type-1 Fonts

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: Re: [Groff] Installing Russian Type-1 Fonts
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 23:21:52 +0400

Werner LEMBERG:

> Yes,  this is a mess, introduced long before I was
> involved in groff.  However, this affects the ter-
> minology  but not the documentation itself. AFAIK,
> I've fixed all places in the doc files to  make  a
> clear  distinction  between  input  characters and
> output glyphs.

Now that I have acquired more understanding, I don't
have  problems  reading  the manual. But I had had a
hard time before!

> > As I now understand, there's no internal  repre-
> > sentation of characters in groff. There are only
> > input characters and output entities.
>
> Actually, it's the same object, containing a  ref-
> erence  to both the input character and the corre-
> sponding output glyph.

OK, but the reference  to  the  input  character  is
allowed to be 'null', then?

> This  is not the example I have expected. In other
> words, you don't have one, which is good :-)

Good indeed!

But I also provided another example -- the one  that
disables  hyphenation  at a certain letter -- and it
seems to be a bug or, at least,  this  behaviour  or
side effect is neither evident nor documented.

Anton