Re: [Groff] Using groff & tbl for creating a CV

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Using groff & tbl for creating a CV
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 22:38:58 +0100 (BST)

On 09-Aug-11 20:46:35, Chris Schaller wrote:
> Did anyone of you roffers ever try to create a CV with groff and tbl?
>
> I started using tbl for that purpose, but I miserably failed with the
> output.  Example:

The following does a cleaner job:

.TS
tab(|);
lll.
Since 05/2006|My Company in Downtown
_
|This is the role I occupied
|T{
.nr LLold \n[LL]
.ll 3i
.nr LL 3i
.IP -
Working on this
.IP -
Working on that
.IP -
Achieved lots of things
.IP -
But now, this is going to be a rather lengthy description of a
task that I had which is so long that groff is complaining about
the length of the line
T}
.ll \n[LLold]u
.nr LL \n[LLold]
07/2003-04/2006|Yet Another Company I Worked For
_
|The role I had there
|T{
.IP -
Some more tasks
.IP -
You will get the idea
T}
.TE

It stores the old line-length, and then both sets the current
(troff) line-length and the ms-macro line length LL to (here)
3 inches, then afterwards re-sets them back to what they were.

> It's also interesting to see that some parts of the data will be bold
> ("Since 05/2006", "My Company in Downtown", and "This is the role I
> occupied") while the text between T{ and T} looks regular, if I
> prepend the following line to above example (ms macro):
>
> .NH
> Test
>
> But I guess this is intended behaviour and I simply have to switch to
> .LP or .PP for normal?

The simplest way tpo meake selected portions bold is to set it
explicitly in-line, as in

Since \fB05/2006|My Company in Downtown\fP

Hoping this helps! And hoping to incite others to contribute ideas!

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 09-Aug-11                                       Time: 22:38:55