Re: [Groff] gropdf and pdfroff

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: Re: [Groff] gropdf and pdfroff
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 15:20:05 +0400

Clarke Echols:

> I was working on a troff/nroff tutorial at HP back
> in 1988, but got pulled off of it  to  handle  the
> HP-UX  Reference  (man pages) for four years.  The
> version that got produced was a  cut-down  version
> for  nroff  only,  and  it never hit the bookstore
> market like the vi manual I  wrote  in  1987  that
> went to trade press in 1990.

It  is  a  shame  your  Vi guide is out of print and
costs so much now.

> My advice for learning troff/groff is to  take  an
> uncommented  macro package, add comprehensive com-
> ments about how every  line  works,  and  what  it
> does.
>
> Do  that,  and  you'll have a lot of understanding
> that's hard to get otherwise.

Thanks for the advice. I had  already  tried  to  do
that  but  was  daunted by the sheer amount of work.
Now that I feel a bit more at home with Groff, maybe
I  will  return  to it, or just try to create my own
"tutorial" macro package using  other  macros  as  a
source of techniques and common practices.

Anton