Re: [Groff] gropdf and pdfroff

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] gropdf and pdfroff
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 13:13:25 -0400

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011, Mike Bianchi wrote:
> I worry that *roff is an old technology loved only by old people.
> It won't survive much longer if it isn't loved by people much
> younger than me.
> That way one would not have to memorize quite as much trivial
> detail to understand the document source you were reading,
> especially if you are a novice (as we all were at one time).
> Heck, I could use such a thing if I ever wanted to transition to
> groff_mom.
>
> The same could be done for raw *roff commands.  Registers would
> also be handled.

Odd you should mention transitioning to groff_mom by making the
macro names more humanly readable, since the whole ethos behind mom
was to accomplish precisely that!  Interestingly, your entire post
sounds like a mission statement for mom.  Clearly, we agree on many
things, especially the need to keep groff vibrant by attracting
next-gen users.

--
Peter Schaffter

Author of The Binbrook Caucus