Re: [Groff] Tips & Tricks: Tables with abutting rules

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Tips & Tricks: Tables with abutting rules
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 19:39:35 +0100 (BST)

On 07-Jul-11 12:01:04, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>> There is no 'tbl' option which allows a "no space" to be set in this
>> context. However, there is a trick.  This is to use dummy columns at
>> the left and/or right, with associated zero column spacings.  [...]
>
> Very nice!  Could you convert this small tutorial into something which
> I can add to the tbl manpage?
>
>     Werner

Hi Werner! I am relieved that you like it!

Since I have little expertise in troff code for man pages (and none
for info pages), and still less in using 'diff', I can only suggest
what change might be made to the tbl manpage.

Under "BUGS", append (as last item, below the entry about "\a"):
====================

A leading and/or trailing `|' in a format line, such as
  |l r|.
will give output which has a 1n space between the resulting
bordering vertical rule and the content of the adjacent column,
as in

  .TS
  tab(#);
  |l r|.
  left column#right column
  .TE

If it is desired to have zero space (so that the rule touches
the content), this can be achieved by introducing extra "dummy"
columns, with no content and zero separation, before and/or after,
as in

  .TS
  tab(#);
  r0|l r0|l.
  #left column#right column#
  .TE

(The resulting "dummy" columns are invisible and have zero width).

Do you think that this is sufficient?

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>