Re: [Groff] GNU troff in OpenBSD

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] GNU troff in OpenBSD
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 21:31:02 +0200 (CEST)

> this mail is to inform you that i have just taken up maintainership
> of groff in OpenBSD (www.openbsd.org), have updated the OpenBSD
> groff port to release 1.21, have subscribed to the three groff
> mailing lists at GNU.org and am planning to keep the OpenBSD groff
> port up to date in a timely manner starting now.

Great!  BTW, I've incorporated `patch-tmac_doc-syms' and
`patch-src_roff_troff_input_cpp'.

> The following two contrib/ patches might be interesting for you;
> they contain a short comment explaining the respective problem:
>  * patch-contrib_groffer_Makefile_sub

This patch I don't understand, inspite of reading the comment.  Can
you please explain what's bad about INSTALL_DATA and INSTALL_SCRIPT?

>  * patch-contrib_hdtbl_Makefile_sub (This one will definitely need a
>    different fix upstream, in case you see a problem there.)

If you find a better patch to remove the dependency on bash I'm glad
to incorporate it.

BTW, I'm not happy about your patch in `patch-src_roff_troff_env_cpp'.
Such code doesn't belong into the binary but rather in GNU troff's
start-up file, `troffrc'.  Otherwise I fear I get bug reports why GNU
troff behaves differently on OpenBSD...  Please fix this.