[Groff] Re: groff lp4 post processor problems

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: groff lp4 post processor problems
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 08:22:01 +0100 (CET)

[Referring to
 http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-groff/2011-02/msg00007.html:

  In my recent attempts to use groff 1.20.1 and the lj4 post
  processor, I have encountered a number of instances where certain
  character pairs (ff, fi, fl, ') are passed on to the hp printer as
  escape sequences that print as (1/2,¡,«, Æ).  I discovered that (ff,
  fi, fl) are actually transferred to the printer as escape sequences,
  (\xab, \xad, \xae) and suspect a similar code for '.  This leads me
  to believe that the lp4 post processor may have a problem.  Can
  someone explore this and provide a solution?]

Hi Jeff!

Great to hear from you again!  I take the liberty to CC the groff
mailing list so that the discussion gets properly archived.

> I'm still running 1.19.1; to your knowledge, did anyone made
> significant changes between that and 1.20?

No.  There was a fundamental change under the hood how glyphs are
represented, but theoretically this shouldn't affect grolj4.

> The character codes are indeed as Michael describes them; they
> display as the characters Michael mentions on a console set to code
> page 437, but they should be OK in the appropriate symbol sets: PB
> (6J) for ff and DT (7J) for fi and fl.  I'm showing the correct
> escape sequences to select those sets when I try to print the
> characters.

Thanks for this information.

> I guess I'll ask Michael for some additional information.

He's listening :-)