Re: [Groff] Problem with -me package

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: Re: [Groff] Problem with -me package
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 16:03:09 +0300

Hello, Mike

A long time ago you gave me this tip:

> To format a document of arbitrary length as _one_ nroff page
> I use this trick.
>
> First, set the page length _very_ long:
>                 .pl 99999
>
> And then make the last two lines of input a line break and
> setting the page length to the _current_ page length.
>                 .br
>                 .pl \\n[nl]u

Some time later I came up with a better way of doing
this and now  that  I  have  remembered  about  your
advice,  I'd  like to share it with you: just use an
end-of-input trap to set the real page-length in the
end.  This  way,  it can be included/declared in the
beginning of a file and you won't have to insert any
code at the bottom:

    .\" Trim page to total height of text.
    .de sp-adj
    .  br
    .  pl \\n[nl]u
    ..
    .
    .\" Set single-page mode
    .de sp-set
    .  pl 99999
    .  em sp-adj
    ..

Now  just call sp-set and you're done. Sorry if this
was obvious to you :) Maybe other beginners  reading
the  mailing  list  or its archive list will find it
useful...

Anton