Re: [Groff] Vertical space around displays in MM

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Vertical space around displays in MM
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 22:10:07 -0000 (GMT)

On 04-Feb-11 21:35:06, Larry Jones wrote:
> Anton Shepelev writes:
>> As  you  see,  the  space after the list item ending
>> with the display is twice that after  the  following
>> list item. The same thing happens with sections (.H)
>> and in all other instances of .DE being followed  by
>> a macro that generates vertical space.
>>
>> If  this  is a bug and not a feature of MM (I am not
>> sure which it is) than it can be rid of by replacing
>> the second call to .sp with .SP in the address@hidden macro:
>>
>>   -.if \n[Ds] .sp \n[ds*i]u
>>   +.if \n[Ds] .SP \n[ds*i]u
>
> It is a bug -- my AT&T MM macros do not produce the extra space.
> --
> Larry Jones

And, just for comparison, in the ms macros the variables
(amongst others) are defined:

\n[PD] "Paragraph Drop": space before the next paragraph
\n[DD] "Display Drop": space before and after a display

I prefer, myself, to set these to zero, and explicitly
insert whatever space I want at a particular point. Then
by default there would be no spacing. The paragraph macros
do not insert any space of their own apart from what is
implied by these variables.

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861