[Groff] using -mom to write a paper

From: Petr Man
Subject: [Groff] using -mom to write a paper
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 14:47:27 +0100

Dear all,

I have decided to give -mom a try for a scientific paper. Although it
is not primarily intended for such task, I have found out, that I can
adapt it to most of my needs. However, I have a few issues, that I am
unable to work out. Any help is welcome.

Problem 1:
I would like to have a cover page in my document, that looks exactly
like the cover page -mom creates for me, but with a logo above the
title. Is there any simple way to do that?

Problem 2:
My document is typeset in two columns. I would however like to have an
abstract in full width under the document title and then the two
columns on the same page for everything else. I can't find any way to
do that, so I have for now put it on a separate page. Having a
separate page has also the negative side effect that I end up having
twice the title in the TOC, because the page with abstract is actually
extra document followed by .COLLATE.

Problem 3:
I am having problem with lists that don't fit on one page or one
column. In the case where the list doesn't fit the page, -mom inserts
an extra page with one word and a warning about "environment stack
underflow" and then continues on the following page. Same error when
it breaks into the next column, but in that case it seems to render
correctly.
The "environment stack underflow" also comes up if I make more than 9
subheads in one column, but I am not able to reproduce this reliably.
All this happens only when I use two columns.

Problem 4:
I need one extra level of headings (a subsubhead). The manual suggests
to use paraheads for this, but that does not behave consistently for
me, as it sometimes does not flush the first line left, even if I told
it to do so. In case I decide to extend my om.tmac, are there any
caveats in "cloning" what .SUBHEAD does and adding an extra
.SUBSUBHEAD?

The last thing, will there be any binary release of groff 1.21 for
Windows? I didn't have much luck building it, there seem to be some
hardcoded paths. I am currently using 1.20.1.

Regards,

Petr