Re: [Groff] EQN documentation

From: Cedric Sodhi
Subject: Re: [Groff] EQN documentation
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 21:42:13 +0100

Hi, on-list, I don't have to be ashamed of admitting that I thought I
knew EQN but only now I found out that there is L and I in certain macro
packages :)

I'm a little bit wondering about your extensive use of spaces "~" and
"^". If I'm allowed to give you my input on that:

I have never used them, I consider the spacing that EQN gives the
characters based upon their TYPE somewhat reasonable. Besides, I think
the writer(s) of EQN (sorry if I should know who it is) put some thought
into the spacing to make it consistent as it is.

Where I agree that the reader should be told about the spacing thing, I
think it might be better not to start using it all over the place from
the second you mention it, it might give the impression that ~ is a
must-use where actually, I think, it's just your personal taste.

Besides, having a still vivid memory of my first attempts with GROFF
myself, it might be good to keep it as simple as possible for the first
steps. It should suffice if the reader knows somewhere in the back of
his head "if I want spaces, I can explicitly write them" instead of
seing trivial equations like $Z = U over V+A$ being complified as $Z ~~=~~
U over V^^+^^A$ (I'm overstatng it to make my point).

If you allow me, a little OT question:

What do you think about sending emails as optionally

to the list, so they are automatically viewed as groff :D ?

(In Mutt I would set up an autoview in mailcap that runs the email
through groff -Dutf8)

best regards,
Cedric