[Groff] Re: Problem with devtag macros?

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: [Groff] Re: Problem with devtag macros?
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 18:41:06 +0300

Werner Lemberg:

> I  don't think so.  .DEVTAG-EO-H is very low-level
> (and since of its beta nature,  neither  .tag  nor
> .taga are documented at all); it's a bad idea IMHO
> to hardcode any typographical behaviour with it.

I still cannot agree with it, because the  modifica-
tion  in  question  is the removal of a side-effect,
not the addition of new behaviour.

> Can you try whether this works with your documents
> as a patch to to mm also?

Yes.  Now  MM's headings work as expected: producing
correct vertical space and even  ignoring  .P  after
.H,  as per the man page. I have attached a patch to
MM, in which a wrapper around tag-generating  macros
has  been added, using the code you provided. Should
you agree to patch devtag itself, this  wrapper  can
be turned into a wrapper for the .tag request.

Anton