RE: [Groff] Ellipsis and Cdots

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] Ellipsis and Cdots
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 09:18:12 -0000 (GMT)

On 17-Dec-10 08:28:11, Cedric Sodhi wrote:
> Hello,
> according to man eqn an ellipsis of three subsequent dots will be
> replaced by a real ellipsis, whereas to get three centered dots one
> should use cdots.
> However when I enter ... I get cdots and I wouldn't know how to get a
> real ellipsis, since there does not appear to be an ellipsis glyph in
> groff_char either (typing "..." will insert three mal-aligned dots).
>
> Can anyone shed light on this? Thanks

In eqn, to get 3 dots on the baseline, use 'ldots', as in a context like

  for $r ^=^ 1 , 2 , ldots , N$

As you say, "..." produces centred dots in eqn. Groff's eqn (1.18.1) does
not recognise the token 'cdots', and 'man eqn' does not mention it. You
may have been reading the man-page for eqn in some other version of UNIX.

There is an entry for ellipsis in the Symbol font, where it has octal
code 0274 = decimal 188 (but no name), so \f[S]\N'188'\fP will give you
an ellipsis, and you can define your own name for it like

.char \[el] \f[S]\N'188'\fP

so that (in ordinary text, i.e. outside eqn) you can write something like

  In the International Phonetic Alphabet
  A is Alpha, B is Bravo, C is Charlie, \[el] , Z is Zulu

(Or you could call it \[...] if you prefer ... )!

Hoping this helps,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861