RE: [Groff] tbl bug with nospaces option

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] tbl bug with nospaces option
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:17:44 -0000 (GMT)

On 10-Nov-10 17:25:05, Louis Guillaume wrote:
> Hi,
> I just noticed that tbl was crashing under certain conditions with the
> "nospaces" option. Here's what I discovered:
>
> Take a simple table like this:
>
> .TS H
> expand nospaces tab(@);
> l c r.
> \fBone @ two @ three\fP
> .TH
> 1 @  2   @ 3
> .TE
>
> Everything works here. But, if, say we didn't have a value in the
> second
> column, but still had spaces, we get a segmentation fault in tbl:
>

> .TS H
> expand nospaces tab(@);
> l c r.
> \fBone @ two @ three\fP
> .TH
> 1 @     @ 3
> .TE
>

> $ tbl se_test.ms
> .if !\n(.g .ab GNU tbl requires GNU troff.
> .if !dTS .ds TS
> .if !dTE .ds TE
> .lf 1 se_test.ms
> .TS H
> Segmentation fault
>
> Removing the spaces, leaving "1 @@ 3", solves the problem. But seems
> like a bug in tbl to me...
>
> I've reproduced this on OS X and NetBSD.
>
> Louis

This definitely looks like a bug! I suspect that the logic of
"removing leading and trailing spaces" is tripping up over the
failure to find a data item with reference to which a space can
be categorised as "leading" or "trailing".

If you remove the spaces in the missing data item:

.TS H
expand nospaces tab(@);
l c r.
\fBone @ two @ three\fP
.TH
1 @@ 3
.TE

then all is fine. Likewise, if you put in a "\&" so that the logic
has something to bite on:

.TS H
expand nospaces tab(@);
l c r.
\fBone @ two @ three\fP
.TH
.TE

then all is again fine. (you could put the "\&" anywhere
amongst the spaces -- the above with it at the end is just
one example).

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861