RE: [Groff] Re: what about cip

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] Re: what about cip
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 18:09:28 +0100 (BST)

On 21-Oct-10 16:43:38, Doug McIlroy wrote:
>> While reading utp-1.0 I noticed reference to an app called cip but
>> I can find almost no info.  What became of it?
>
> Cip, for those who never heard of it, was an inverse of pic:
> create a picture by mouse clicks and get pic code back.
> It was written by Sally Browning at Bell Labs and was
> included in the 10th edition research UNIX system. I am
> not aware that it ever got distributed outside Bell Labs
> research.
>
> I don't know whether the resulting pic code was intelligible
> enough to be easily modified, or was impenetrable like HTML
> that comes from Microsoft Word. But you could ask her.
> She has a profile on LinkedIn
>
> Doug McIlroy

Thanks for the info, Doug! I was puzzled by the query.
Not only am I one of "those who never heard of it", my
paper edition of "Text Processing and Typesetting with UNIX"
(David Baron and Mike Rees, Addison Wesley 1987) does not
mention it (though it doesn't say much about pic either;
just a brief reference Appendix).

With that info, a Google search on

  troff cip

brought up a few things, in particular
  http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=107172
  "UNIX Vol. II: research system (10th ed.)
   Pages: 329  Year of Publication: 1990
   ISBN:0-03-047529-5
   Editors   A. G. Hume   M. D. McIlroy
   Publisher   W. B. Saunders Company  Philadelphia, PA, USA

(so I think we know where you're coming from, Doug!).

Amongst the list of contents:

  Cip user's manual: one picture is worth a thousand words
  Sally A. Browning

To access the content, however, you need an ACM account.

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 21-Oct-10                                       Time: 18:09:24