[Groff] Re: what about cip

From: Doug McIlroy
Subject: [Groff] Re: what about cip
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 12:43:38 -0400

> While reading utp-1.0 I noticed reference to an app called cip but
> I can find almost no info.  What became of it?

Cip, for those who never heard of it, was an inverse of pic:
create a picture by mouse clicks and get pic code back.
It was written by Sally Browning at Bell Labs and was
included in the 10th edition research UNIX system. I am
not aware that it ever got distributed outside Bell Labs
research.

I don't know whether the resulting pic code was intelligible
enough to be easily modified, or was impenetrable like HTML
that comes from Microsoft Word. But you could ask her.
She has a profile on LinkedIn

Doug McIlroy