Re: [Groff] How to include a letterhead

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] How to include a letterhead
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 16:23:40 +0100

Hi Chris,

I think the following may explain your observed behaviour.

On Sunday 10 October 2010 08:45:35 Chris Velevitch wrote:
> The %%BoundingBox is the same as the page size i.e. is my case the it
> is the dimensions of an A4 page as the image is a A4 letterhead
> scanned and converted to an .eps file.

In that case, would it not need to be placed at the page origin?  (Top
left of page, (0,0) in absolute gtroff page co-ordinates)?  Your sample
markup

> .tl
> .vs 12.7p
> .PSPIC -I 0 letterhead.eps

attempts to place it the height of one title line lower down on the
page, and if it needs the full page length, it clearly doesn't fit on
the first page below this point, so gtroff introduces a page break, to
accommodate it on the second page, which it promptly fills all the way
to the bottom.  You then follow it with

> .sp -29.71c

which causes a break, moving the output point to the *next* available
text base line.  Since you were already at the bottom of page 2, this
break moves you to line 1 on page 3, whence you then attempt to move up
a distance equivalent to one page length.  However, an upward motion
can never go beyond the physical top of the current page, so you end up
at the top of page 3, for the start of your document content.

You might try setting an arbitrarily long initial page length, (> the
height of the bounding box), before you place the image, which you
should place before *anything* else which emits page content, (i.e.
before the .tl).  Then, move back to the top of the page

  'sp |0

*before* setting the real page length for formatting the document.

HTH,
Keith.