Re: [Groff] Underlining, again

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] Underlining, again
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:38:23 -0400

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:

> > The only hitch I've encountered is that if the sentence spacing is
> > greater than the groff default, the underline gets broken between
> > sentences.
>
> Yes, also if you switch to, e.g., bold while in underline mode.
> In fact, in anything which isn't printed with a single "show"
> (or one of its variants) the underline gets broken.  I think
> it works surprisingly well for being such a simple solution,
> but I'm sure I can improve it without too much effort, and
> also make it a bit more configurable (line thickness etc.).

With the supplied bit of postscript, it's easy enough to write
a macro that takes the desired thickness and distance from the
baseline as arguments.

For my purposes, the sentence space issue can be resolved by setting
the sentence space to the default before underlining, and restoring
it afterwards.  As to changing fonts while underlining, it's hard to
imagine a situation in which it's likely to happen.  Underlining
should at best be an occasional effect, IMHO.  Still, one likes to
have solutions that cover every possibility.

--
Peter Schaffter

Author of The Binbrook Caucus
http://www.schaffter.ca