Re: [Groff] Underlining, again

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] Underlining, again
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 20:51:26 -0400

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:

> > What's needed is a macro that can be called inline in arg
> > 3 to start underlining, and another macro in arg 4 to stop
> > underlining.  Even if ul.tmac could be coerced into behaving
> > this way (I've tussled with it, without success), it seems
> > to me that the macros in ul.tmac are an awful lot of hoops
> > to jump through for something as basic as underlining.
> >
> > Hence wondering about .cu.
>
> If you're satisfied with a solution that works *only* with the
> postscript device, then this can be achieved with device-control
> escapes.  Here's something to play around with.

Thanks, Tadziu.  This may be what I've been looking for.  I'm not a
postscript expert, but this gives me something I can play around
with comfortably.  Will post back after I've tinkered a bit.

And yes, it only has to work for the postscript device since it's
easy enough to write an .if n condition in the case where a TTY
is being used (not very likely if a doc is formatted with the mom
macros, but conceivable).

--
Peter Schaffter

Author of The Binbrook Caucus