Re: [Groff] opentype and postscript fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] opentype and postscript fonts
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2010 22:01:22 +0200 (CEST)

> The standart AR macro

Macro?  You mean groff font file, right?

> contain information about kerning.  Should these informations be
> manually added after conversion from .otf to groff font, or are they
> part of the .pfa font?

What you actually need is a cff2afm program, however, this doesn't
exist...

BUT: You can use FontForge to load any font, then converting it to a
Type1 font and an AFM file.  I just tried it for `Linux Biolinum'
(from the Libertine family): The AFM file has a whopping size of
2.6MByte, with 2479 glyph metrics and 109131 kernpairs...

BTW, this should work on any platform since FontForge can be
controlled by two scripting languages (either a native one or with a
Python interface) which doesn't use a GUI.