Re: [Groff] opentype and postscript fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] opentype and postscript fonts
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 07:56:04 +0200 (CEST)

> I'm thinking about getting a nice font with ligatures, small caps,
> old style numbers, etc., to use with groff.  The problem is that all
> the newly made font are opentype fonts, and can't be found as
> postscript font.

I suggest to try heirloom troff which supports OpenType fonts
natively.  Otherwise...

> I've searched on some solution to translate opentype fonts to
> postscipt fonts, and found some software: fontforge, and a command
> line tool available with texlive: the lcdf type tools:
> http://www.lcdf.org/type/
>
> They both can convert opentype font to postscript font, but they
> both generate a single postscript font containing all the opentype
> features (small caps, old style numbers...) instead of making one
> postscript font for each feature.

... I see this in

  http://www.lcdf.org/type/t1reencode.1.html  :

    This series of commands, which use cfftot1(1) and otftotfm(1) as
    well as t1reencode itself, generate a version of Warnock Pro
    Regular with old-style figures in the slots for numbers (because
    of otftotfm’s -fonum option). The new font will be called
    WarnockPro-RegularOsF.

      otftotfm -fonum WarnockPro-Regular.otf \
               --output-encoding /tmp/osf.enc
      cfftot1 WarnockPro-Regular.otf | t1reencode -e /tmp/osf.enc \
              -n WarnockPro-RegularOsF -N "Warnock Pro Regular OsF" \
              -o WarnoProRegOsF.pfb

It seems to me that this is exactly what you need.