Re: [Groff] Graph in a man page

From: Andre Majorel
Subject: Re: [Groff] Graph in a man page
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:49:09 +0200

On 2010-08-20 11:09 +0200, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> Runing "man -p p ./testfile" on this file:
>
> .TH a b c d e
> .PS
> box "X"
> arrow "A" ""
> box "Y"
> arrow "B" ""
> box "Z"
> .PE
>
> results in this output, which is better than nothing:
>
> a(b)                             e                            a(b)
>
> +------+     +------+    +------+
> |      +-A-+-|      +-B-++      |
> |  X   |     |  Y   |    |  Z   |
> +------+     +------+    +------+
>
> d                                c                            a(b)
>
> I don't know how portable pic is (especially with its output shown as
> text); this depends on what your target machines are.
>
> If you want to avoid the "-p p" parameter for man, you'd have to set
> MANROFFSEQ instead.

Thank you, I'll look into it under .if t. For nroff, it looks
like good old ASCII art is the way to go. Which brings me to the
next two questions :

What's the most portable way to select a regular monospace font ?

What's the most portable way to select a bold monospace font of
the same exact size ?

Yes, I tried .cs but hopefully there's a better solution.