Re: [Groff] character width in font files

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: [Groff] character width in font files
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:19:11 +0900

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

> ... devutf8 and the other TTY devices are different.  My main concern
> with `wcwidth' and its siblings is that some platforms have either
> broken support for it or the functions aren't available at all.  Can
> you extend your patch so that it contains the replacement stuff from
> gnulib (as it is done e.g. in texinfo)?  This is a bigger task I fear
> since you probably have to modify groff's build system.

Thanks for the info.  I'll look at texinfo.

Probably another option would be to have seperate font files per locales
and pre-compute character width in those font files on a platform with
working wcwidth().  How does it sound?

>> The patch is currently useless with the trunk, but with Colin
>> Walters' charclass branch I confirmed that it renders Japanese man
>> pages with the kinsoku shori applied correctly (er, mostly, it looks
>> some kind of hyphenation is necessary for non-punct Japanese
>> characters):
>>
>> http://ueno.fedorapeople.org/groff/kinsoku.png
>
> Very nice!  Where can I get Colin's branch?

First I must appologize I mis-spelled Colin's surname - he is Colin
Watson not Colin Walters.  I checked out the branch from:
https://code.launchpad.net/~cjwatson/groff/charclass

as he pointed there on the Debian BTS:

Daiki Ueno