Re: [Groff] Hanging paragraphs in MM

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: Re: [Groff] Hanging paragraphs in MM
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 12:21:17 +0400

> Ah, yes.  In the manpage macros, this works similarly: all
> paragraph macros reset the indent to what it "should" be
> (so that any ".in" invocations within a paragraph will be
> undone at the beginning of the next paragraph).  That is,
> ".TP" absolutely sets the indent to "something" + "extra",
> and ".PP" sets it back to "something".
>
> The biggest difference is that ".TP" does not get the tag
> as an argument, but instead reads it from the next line of
> input: an input-line-count trap of one line is set and text
> read for the tag is temporarily diverted, for the purpose of
> determining whether the tag is wider than the extra indent
> (the tag is set on a line by itself if it is).
>
> Since the input-line-count trap only counts "real" lines of
> input, you can do fancy stuff such as special formatting of
> the tag:

Thank  you.  I  think I am beginning to understand
this macro.  I  got  a  connected  question  about
traps.  The .SH macro can handle the section head-
ing both as a parameter and the next  input  line,
and  in  both  cases  the  an-trap trap is invoked
afted that line has been typeset.

The trap is set by .it 1 an-trap, so I why  is  it
fired after the section text even is it was passed
to .SH as parameter? Are macro parameters  handled
as input lines?

Anton