Re: [Groff] Replacing groff with troff?

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Replacing groff with troff?
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 07:59:44 -0400

Larry McVoy wrote:

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 05:09:23PM +1000, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
There's currently a discussion going on in the FreeBSD project about
replacing groff (which is part of the base system, mainly to process
man pages) with a specialized man page processor, and relegate groff
to the Ports Collection as an add-on.  During the discussion, Plan 9
troff was mentioned (http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/troff.pdf).
That's the first I've heard of it being readily available, but I'm
sure others have heard of it.  I'd like to hear opinions.

As a long time roff user I can state that groff is better.  And the
BSD guys prolly have no reason to complain, does FSF own groff or
is it James?

Either way, groff is enough better that I wouldn't look back.

With props to Joe for a fine tool.

Agreed. Plan9 troff is still stuck with the two-letter namespace! If they don't want to use groff, why not Heirloom Troff from Sun? What's the point of this anyway - GPL? NIH?

It's bad enough that Debian and its derivatives (*ubuntu) include only a cut-back version of groff that's barely adequate for formatting manpages, but at least that's easily remedied during installation.

        Larry