Re: [Groff] URW font support

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] URW font support
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 18:32:18 +0200 (CEST)

> I have tried Makefile.urw, and it works fine for text fonts, but not
> for the special fonts. Two typos: udzrrev.afm should be uzdrrev.afm,

Thanks.

> and PHONY should be .PHONY

This must be a problem on your side; in the attached Makefile it was
correctly written.

> US: I changed the construction of `symbolmap' to remove duplicates,
>     fixing a lot of messages from afmtodit like the following,

Have you tried the CVS repository?  I've done exactly that in a recent
commit.

>         both Upsilon1 and Upsilon map to *U at .../afmtodit line 6412.
>         (U* has different definitions in textmap and symbolchars)
>
>         In my package, I used a handcrafted symbolmap for URW, with:
>                 Upsilon1        U*

Well, this warning message is harmless, I think.

> USS: Needs to be made from the URW AFM not the Adobe AFM (replace
>         the reoved section of Maefile in Makefile.urw). Haven't time
>         to fix it --- I'll do it if required later.

This would be great!  Honestly, I haven't fiddled around with symbol
fonts in detail; basically, I've just quickly refreshed Makefile.urw
which sits on my hard disk since years.

> UZDR:   # FullName Dingbats Reverse (`Reverse' missing, not important).

Hmm.  There is the line

  sed -e '/^FontName /s/Dingbats/Dingbats-Reverse/' \

in the rule to create `uzdrrev.afm' which should do that.  Perhaps
this fails due to the typo you reported above.

> In addition shouldn't version of the URW zapfdr.pfa be installed
> e.g. as uzapfdr.pfa and the download file amended to include it?
>
> Similar remarks apply to symbolsl.pfa.

Yes.

> The devps-alt package doesn't correctly work for the symbol fonts if
> you want to use both the Adobe and URW versions.  I'm looking into a
> fix.

Marvellous!

> I'm about to release version 1.05, with minor fixes. Note that it
> makes installing additional fonts quite easy (I have about 250 all
> working with groff). See www.oxytropis.plus.com/groff

Please send an announcement to the list.