Re: [Groff] filled polygons in pic

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] filled polygons in pic
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 09:03:50 +0200 (CEST)

> The fundamental issue is the small repertoire of fillable,
> colourable or shadeable objects in pic -- basically box, circle,
> ellipse.

Dough,

if you want to play with, please go ahead!  However, I fear that this
is a non-trivial task, as Ted has explained (especially if you read
the thread he mentioned in his previous post).

> One idea which came to me in the course of that was that it
> would be useful to be able to assign a "closed" attribute to
> an object drawn by pic, [...]
>
>   [ arc down rad 1; arc rad 1;
>     line up 0.5 left 0.75;
>     line left 0.5;
>     line left 0.75 down 0.5 ] closed shaded "green"

This is a nice idea, indeed.

> However, inmplementing this sort of thing would involve modifying
> pic extensively at a deep level.

I don't think that this would be extremely hard, given the natural
modular structure of gpic's C++ code.  A few hundred lines of code I
estimate, if at all.

> I have, indeed, a somewhat intermittent project in hand to implement
> a fairly general repertoire of such things for pic.  [...]

Sounds very interesting!