Re: [Groff] setting a custom page length

From: Richard Ray
Subject: Re: [Groff] setting a custom page length
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 11:57:40 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:

Don't y'all just love dealing with beginners

As with most computer programs, experience helps quite a lot,
and the best way to gain experience is through experimentation.

I had figured out that I had to pass a page size to grops but
I had it stuck in my head that it had to be a defined size,
letter, legal, a2, ...

Which is not surprising, since most printers cannot provide
arbitrary paper sizes, except for some large-format printers
which can cut arbitrary pieces from a large roll.

The feature is handy, however, for stuff which does not
necessarily need to be printed, such as presentations in
the 4:3 aspect ratio of most video projectors.

Is this not documented or did I just overlook it

It is documented.

From grops(1):

  -ppaper-size
         Set  physical  dimension  of  output medium.  This overrides the
         papersize, paperlength, and  paperwidth  commands  in  the  DESC
         file;  it  accepts  the same arguments as the papersize command.
         See groff_font (5) for details.

and from groff_font(5):

  papersize string
         Select  a paper size.              [...]                Finally,
         string can be a custom paper size in the format length,width (no
         spaces  before and after the comma).  Both length and width must
         have a unit appended; valid values are `i' for inches,  `c'  for
         centimeters,  `p'  for  points,  and  `P'  for  picas.  Example:
         12c,235p.  An argument which  starts  with  a  digit  is  always
         treated  as a custom paper format.  papersize sets both the ver-
         tical and horizontal dimension of the output medium.

I appreciate your patience
I will try to dig a bit deeper before asking
Y'all do great work

Richard