Re: [Groff] setting a custom page length

From: Richard Ray
Subject: Re: [Groff] setting a custom page length
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 08:08:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:

If I set .pl 15i the resulting document is 11i long and the
bottom of my document is cut off How else should I define a
custom length Using groff-1.18.1

$ cat long_page_test
.pl 15i
this is the top
.sp |14.5i
this is the bottom

$ groff long_page_test > long_page_test.ps

If I change .sp |14.5i -> .sp |10.5i the text "this is the
bottom" prints at the bottom of the page

With ".pl 15i" you just tell troff to format the text for
a page this long.  To actually use paper of that size, you
must also tell grops (the device postprocessor) to request
the printer to switch to paper of that size:

 bash$ groff -P-p15i,8i long_page_test >long_page_test.ps

Don't y'all just love dealing with beginners
I had figured out that I had to pass a page size to grops but I had it stuck in my head that it had to be a defined size, letter, legal, a2, ...
Is this not documented or did I just overlook it

Richard