[Groff] MS: Keeping the TOC

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: [Groff] MS: Keeping the TOC
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:16:41 +0300

Hello all,

I want the headers (.NH) automatically create TOC entries,
for which reason, right in my document's file, I defined
the following macro:

.de HD
.NH \\$1
\\$2
.XS
\\$2
.XE
..

which creates both a header and a TOC entry for it, so I
would no longer bother about the actuality of my TOC.

My problem is that even an empty document like this:

.TC

creates one empty TOC entry, as if groff interprets the
.XS ... .XE pair inside the definition of .HD like actual
commands... Am I doing something wrong? Is it incorrect to
define additional macros inside the document's file? Where
to define it then?

Thanks you in advance,
Anton