Re: [Groff] Horizontal positioning, .nr vs \R

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Horizontal positioning, .nr vs \R
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 06:57:30 +0100 (CET)

> This line *does* work:
>
>  .   nop \\$*\h'0'\R'toc:horiz \\n[.k]'
>
> In other words, forcing a zero horizontal motion flushes the single
> word out and sets the .k register properly.  Is this expected
> behavior, and if so, is \h'0' the correct way to flush a partial
> line?

I can't repeat that.  Put the following into a file `R':

  .de xxx
  .  nop \\$*\h'0'\R':a \\n[.k]'
  .  tm :a == \\n[:a]
  ..
  .
  .xxx aaa
  .
  .br
  .
  .de yyy
  aaa\h'0'\R':b \\n[.k]'
  .  tm :b == \\n[:b]
  ..
  .
  .yyy
  .
  .br
  .
  aaa\R':c \n[.k]'
  .tm :c == \n[:c]
  .
  .br

Saying `troff R > /dev/null' gives

  :a == 13320
  :b == 13320
  :c == 13320

In other words, I get the same results either using or not using a
macro, and with or without \h'0'.

You have to provide a small stand-alone test case so that we can find
out what's really going on.