Re: [Groff] A question about vertical indentation of displays

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: Re: [Groff] A question about vertical indentation of displays
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 14:17:34 +0300

Ted Harding:

> If you are using ms macros, then there are two number registers
> to watch out for: \n[PD] "paragraph drop" and \n[DD] "display
> drop". \n[PD] defines how much vertical space will be inserted
> before starting a new paragraph. \n[DD] defines how much vertical
> space will be inserted before *and after* a display.
>
> So your .DE followed by .LP will insert \n[DD]+\n[PD] between
> the bottom of the display and the top of the new paragraph.

Hello, Ted, and thank you for your reply. According to what you
have said, it is impossible to have the same vertical space before
and after a display unless the PD register be set to zero. It
doesn't seem quite right to me. Why the asymmetry?

Secondly, I couldn't find where the DD register is documented. It's
present neither in the MS man page nor in the groff online manual...

Anton