[Groff] A not strictly groff question

From: Miklos Somogyi
Subject: [Groff] A not strictly groff question
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 22:24:21 +1100

Hello Folks,

This is not a groff question but I suspect that many of you have the expertise
and experience
to solve this riddle.

I bought a diNovo Edge for Mac, the best keyboard I have ever had.
Except that the function keys can only be programmed with the actions that
Logitech deemed worthwhile having.

I use vi/vim and have lots of map commands in my .exrc file, however, I never
used the "ab" abbreviation capability.
It works in text mode and needs a white space around the short string to be
expanded.
I've tried to program lQ for left quote and rQ fro right quote, for the use of
"text lQ text rQ text".

For rQ the following space is ok, the proceeding one needs to be eliminated:

ab rQ <Esc>i\(rq                     (that is lower case I before the backslash)

this one does it, though I don't understand how/why.

However, I can't get rid of the following space of the left quote, though I
tried moving the
cursor, etc (e.g. ^[[5C is the right arrow, the ^[ is the single escape
character, made by <ctrl>v<ctrl>[), but no cigar.
I guess that some of you have already encountered and solved this problem. If
so, please
let me know.

Thanks,

Miklos