Re: [Groff] grohtml again

From: Chuck Robey
Subject: Re: [Groff] grohtml again
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 21:37:38 -0500

Robert Thorsby wrote:
> On 29/12/09 12:35:37, Chuck Robey wrote:
>> You ever see the Sam's book on Unix system
>> typesetting?  I think I saw a pdf of it on
>> the web a year or two ago, (I have TWO
>> printed copies of it!), and you ought to
>> consider looking at it, it's easily the most
>> readable things on all aspects of roff
>> programming available.  You need to have
>> several of the things from Bell Labs
>> available while you read macros, but it's a
>> really, really good start on things.
>
> Nope, haven't got that one. Thanks for the heads up. Will start
> googling in the New Year.
>
> Nearly all of what I know (which is not much) I got from this list;
> seeing someone's two line idea get expanded by Ted into 20 lines of
> practicality and by Werner into a page of definitive code. Of course,
> if I am feeling lazy, I just see how Peter does it. :-)
>
> Robert
> Chicken Little only has to be right once. -- Anon

I just rechecked, I got the exact name wrong, it's "Unix Text Processing",
Sam's, authors Dougherty and O'Reilly.  That, and the docs that are available
from the GNU groff docs page, are enough to write macros from (especially with
that really fine intro to macros writing in Unix Text Processing).  There's a
pdf on the web somewhere, and although I really do wish it would go back into
print, I wouldn't hold my breath on that.