[Groff] grohtml

From: Chuck Robey
Subject: [Groff] grohtml
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:43:52 -0500

I'm a very long-term user of groff (with the mm macros), I have a problem with
my new attempts to get html output, and I'd appreciate either knowing if my
problem has already  been attended to, or if I need to try to do it myself, then
maybe a pointer telling me where the files that are most likely to hold the
problem are.

Please note, all of my comments below are about use of grohtml and the mm
macros.  If I missed saying this somewhere, believe it, I love the mm macros,
and can use them just fine in ps or pdf or ascii.  I might mention that I'm
hugely happy with groff over troff, also (that shouldn't surprise you any).

My problem is in trying to use mm macro's list macros, for html output only.
I'm currently working around this by using chapters instead, but that's a very
unsatisfactory solution.  The problem is that when you begin the list, there is
no line break going into it.  No line break caused by the macro, but no line
break either if I go out of my way to force one via the .br, the .sp, of .SP
requests.  Eaxmple is, when I put a centered title on top of the page, the list
below it begins *immediately* at the last character of the centered title.

Like I said, if there hasn't been any work on it, I'll have to give it a try
myself, and I'm willing to try that, but while I have written successful macros
before, I can't claim to be any genius at it.  I sure would appreciate any
comments at all on this, something which might give me a shove in the right
direction.

Oh, btw, please don't bother telling me to try other macros sets (like ms)
because I like mm, it's got features I don't care to do without, and I'm being
stubborn (probably).