Re: [Groff] Memory usage of troff

From: Maurice van der Pot
Subject: Re: [Groff] Memory usage of troff
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:31:53 +0100

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 06:52:27AM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > Now I don't know groff/troff so I ask you, is this not excessive?
> > I would like to understand why troff uses so much memory.
>
> It's a bug, fixed on 2009-04-10, I think.  Please try the CVS version.
> Using it, the maximum number of allocated heap space (as checked with
> massif) is 10.52MB for the above call on my Linux box.

Thanks for that pointer, it was very helpful.

I've tried the current version from CVS, but it uses (certain) statem
objects after they have been freed and later frees them again. It looks
like an ownership problem. Nodes delete their statem objects when they
are destroyed, but the same statem objects are deleted when they are
popped from the state machine stack.

The attached patch solves the above problem and also fixes all
"definitely lost" memleaks reported by valgrind. With that patch groff
uses about 10MB on my system as well.

Regards,
Maurice.

--