Re: [Groff] gropdf driver (was: pdfroff produces two copies)

From: Deri James
Subject: Re: [Groff] gropdf driver (was: pdfroff produces two copies)
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 12:02:56 +0100

On Wednesday 05 August 2009 11:30:50 joerg van den hoff wrote:
> just a short feedback:
>
> 1.)
> thanks!
>
> 2.)
> in a first test with
>
> groff 1.19.3
> perl v5.8.8
> macosX
>
> this seems to work more or less correctly.
> but with a small text sample the generated pdf was about a factor of
> 10 larger than that resulting from `ps2pdf' (i.e. gs). furthermore `gv'
> complained when
> displaying the pdf-file:
>

>     **** Warning:  An error occurred while reading an XREF table.
>     **** The file has been damaged.  This may have been caused
>     **** by a problem while converting or transfering the file.
>     **** Ghostscript will attempt to recover the data.
>
> ... which Ghostscript apparently is able to do, since the display looks
> OK, but
> something seems to be murky in the generated pdf...
>
> best regards,
>
> joerg

The warning you get occurs when the XREF table is incorrect, it is "non-fatal"
since all PDF Readers I've looked at will rebuild this table when corruption
is identified. I'd welcome a copy of the .trf and resulting .pdf (off list) if
this is possible.

When you say the .pdf is 10x bigger, I assume you mean the file size, rather
than the scaling of the output. This  will be due to the fact I embed the
entire font if you "use" it whilst 'gs' subsets the font to only  include the
glyphs you actually require. Of course this "overhead" reduces when dealing
with larger .trf files.

Cheers

Deri