[Groff] Problem using groffer with evince

From: Blake McBride
Subject: [Groff] Problem using groffer with evince
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 23:28:47 -0500

Greetings,

I am having some trouble with groffer that I haven't been able to figure our
too easily. If I do:

     groffer --ps --ps-viewer gv groff

everything works fine.  But if I do:

     groffer --ps --ps-viewer evince groff

It doesn't display the pages (although "evince file.ps" works fine).

Digging in a little it seems that evince is passed a postscript file made in
a temporary directory created in /tmp.  The problem is that that directory
seems to have been removed, thus evince couldn't display anything.
Interestingly, if I do:

     groffer --ps --ps-viewer evince --debug groff

it does work!  The --debug switch causes groffer not to delete the temporary
directory.

It seems groffer process everything into a resultant file placed in a
temporary directory under /tmp.  Groffer then deletes it, I suppose thinking
evince is done with it.  I checked and it doesn't delete the file when I use
gv instead.  I don't understand.

Thanks.

Blake McBride