Re: [Groff] Underlining in groff

From: Blake McBride
Subject: Re: [Groff] Underlining in groff
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:24:39 -0500

That kind-of works but I have two problems with it.

1.  What if I'd rather use MM or MOM?

2.  The underline is way too far below the line.  If you try underlining a
word within a paragraph it almost looks like a line in the middle of two
text lines.  It's is terrible.  Basically, the bottom of a lowercase "y"
should extend through the line.  If it doesn't look good then the line is
too thick.

I am having luck with a macro I found (and modified) in Volume II of
Gehano's book as follows:

.de Ul
.nr sL \w'\\$1'u
.if \\n(.lu-\\n(.ku<=\\n(sLu .br