[Groff] indentation in bibliographies

From: Joerg van den Hoff
Subject: [Groff] indentation in bibliographies
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 16:20:36 +0200

I'm using 'refer' (and the ms macros) for generation of auto-numbered literature
references (using the refer 'bibliography' request).

problem: if numbers go beyond 99 there is not enough indentation space,
so I get something like

98. some reference
99. some reference
100.
   some reference

I therefore want to increase the indentation to get

98.  some reference
99.  some reference
100. some reference

but I cannot recall/find how to do this.
question: is there a number register to achieve this or how is it done?
e.g. modfiying PI seems to have no effect on this...

thanks

joerg