Re: [Groff] Handling '...'

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] Handling '...'
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 08:48:50 -0600

I use ... to break up sentences in advertising copy, headlines, and such
for direct-response copy and web pages.

When I use ellipses, I always place a space on both sides which gets the
same width as other spaces on the same line.  By using .\^.\^., I get
similar spacing to that provided by the Firefox browser.  Explorer and
others may do it a bit differently.

I *never* put an ellipsis between words without spaces around it.  How
book publishers do it in novels is immaterial to me.  I'm more
interested in clear visual communication than in following the
conventions of a book company.  When publishing mathematical equations,
I'd opt for a wider space between dots for clarity.  It depends on the
situation.  In any event, a graphic designer (I've had some training in
that area, though I don't claim to be an expert) will exercise a degree
of "artist's license" in deciding how much space to use between the
dots.  But in most of my work -- publishing PDF whitepapers and special
reports, I find the .\^.\^. between spaces yields a visually pleasant
result that balances well.  YMMV.

Clarke