[Groff] Re: Available for small pdfmark project help

From: smoore
Subject: [Groff] Re: Available for small pdfmark project help
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 18:10:45 -0600 (MDT)

Almost there.

>> and, creates a table of contents with
>> links to the referenced page within the same document.

>To achieve that, you will need to create an auxiliary file,
>specifying the appropriate `pdfhref L' calls, and then source that
>into your document.  You will not be able to accomplish it using a
>naive TOC generation technique, such as is provided by the `ms'
>macros.

Create an auxiliary file.  Can you explain further please.

Keith, All,

Here is what I would like to do:

groff -mpdfmark mymacrofile mytitle myfile mybiblio > myfile.ps

I do not us ms macros, nor any other macro package.  I use a
custom package.

I would like the TOC to appear after the output from mytitle,
though I understand this is appended to the file at the end.

So I strip N .ps pages of TOC off the end of the postscript file,
and insert it after mytitle output, before myfile output begins.

Seems to me I could also insert between mytitle and myfile a
mytoc file which contains all the necessary info to have a
linkable toc, thus no striping, no inserting required, perhaps
a multiple pass to gather the necessary data.

I see pdfroff uses awk to find .pdfhref D -N lines and saves
this to a file.  I see pdfroff uses awk again to find
.pdfhref Z $2 $3 $4 and appends this to a file.

Question remains, how do I create this auxiliary file you speak
of that contains the info necessary to create functional toc
links ?!?  And what ought this file look like ?!?  I prefer
to stay within a perl environment to do this if possible.

Thanks Keith and everyone on the list.