Re: [Groff] Typesetting Software

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] Typesetting Software
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 21:26:22 -0600

Sounds like the author needs training in usability.

Sections can be emphasized without headings markup.

I've been writing professionally for 30 years, and
it amazes me what some "writers" who claim to be pro's
actually produce. :-(

Does she understand what her readers are looking for?
In other words, is she saying what she wants to say, or
writing to actually help the reader?

Clarke

Steve Izma wrote:

I'm familiar with your pdfroff and I think it's extremely
interesting, so I definitely didn't mean to trivialize that.
Pdfroff is going to become more and more important because of the
need for publishers to produce sophisticated PDFs with lots of
cross references and internal links for on-line reading and
e-book readers. We've got a series of books that I want to
enhance with pdfroff, but I've gotten stymied by the fact that
the author insists on unstructured subheadings. Instead of a
normal hierarchy (e.g., h1 h2 h2 h1 h2 h3 h3 h1, etc.) she
insists on sticking in subheads wherever she feels like giving
more emphasis to a section. It makes the table of contents look
very messy as well. Sometime soon I will look more closely at
pdfroff to try and work around this.

        -- Steve