Re: [Groff] Typesetting Software

From: Steve Izma
Subject: Re: [Groff] Typesetting Software
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 23:04:03 -0400

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 09:11:18PM -0400, Peter Schaffter wrote:
> Subject: Re: [Groff] Typesetting Software
>
> FWIW, I write structured plain text files and pass them through sed
> to introduce groff or LaTex formatting.  Aside from keeping the
> files clean/readable, it makes things easier when I want to recycle
> them--say, into html.  Normally, I toss the formatted files when my
> pipeline's complete; only rarely do I keep them, and that's usually
> only for micro typography, like creating beautiful rag or hanging
> punctuation outside the right margin.

Good for you, Peter. I think this is the best way to write:
concentrate on the text and pay minimal amount of attention to
formatting, while structuring the text to make the conversion to
groff straight-forward. I like something similar to Restructured
Text for this and I'm starting to experiment with Wiki markup as
well. Groff's abilities as a filter make this very expedient.

I'm also experimenting with creating an xml document from the
initial simple markup as well.

        -- Steve

--
Steve Izma