Re: [Groff] Typesetting Software

From: Dorai Sitaram
Subject: Re: [Groff] Typesetting Software
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 12:08:38 -0700 (PDT)

> On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 08:55:23AM +0100, John¹ wrote:
> > Subject: [Groff] Typesetting Software
> >
> > Many years ago, when type used to be set by hand, I was one of those who
> > did the typesetting. I am now looking at the methodology of using either
> > Groff or LaTex to produce print ready text. Can anyone briefly tell me if
> > Groff does the same job as LaTex?
> >
> > Obviously there will be a bias in asking this group but does one have an
> > advantage over the other?

To speak a bit for the other side:

I find TeX document source to be generally more humanly readable (and editable)
than groff document source.  The latter always seems to require you to break
lines at
cognitively jarring locations, because a groff macro has to be called at the
beginning
of a line, and can't function as a \switch in the middle.  Also, groff doesn't
let you
use arbitrary amounts of vertical space for visual relief.  TeX will collapse
them into
a single parbreak in an intuitive manner.  (With the .blm macro, you can
do some of this in groff too, but you have to fashion your .blm macro pretty
carefully so
it works right in just the desired situations.)

groff does have escapes that be used in the middle of a (source) line, but they
are
not user-definable.  In any case, {\it groff} is nicer to read and edit than
\fIgroff\fP or
\f[I]groff\f[P].  groff strings alleviate the problem of the
macro-in-the-middle-of-a-line
somewhat, but they are not as versatile as groff macros by a long stretch.

I've also found simple and intermediate TeX macros to be easier to write and
debug than
groff macros.  For the tougher macros, both systems get hairy.    But for
moderately
complex things like writing a somewhat-verbatim display that might span pages,
TeX
generally works right, whereas groff will produce interferences with header and
footer.
I'm sure it can be done right, but the point is it requires considerably more
macro-writing
expertise.   (That said, the macro languages of both systems seem hopelessly
hobbled.)

LaTeX is indeed verbose and "canned", but plain TeX is pretty terse and affords
programmability on par with (no better, no worse than) groff.

TeX loses to groff in not having -Tascii (or -Tutf8), but having a single-file
text
output is not as urgent given that the TeX source is relatively more readable
as text
anyway.

groff is neater than TeX for most run-of-the-mill tables that you might want in
your
text.

In my estimation, which is grossly subjective,  plain TeX is better than groff
is better
than LaTeX, purely from a user interaction experience.