Re: [Groff] Typesetting Software

From: Steve Izma
Subject: Re: [Groff] Typesetting Software
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 14:09:37 -0400

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 08:55:23AM +0100, John¹ wrote:
> Subject: [Groff] Typesetting Software
>
> Many years ago, when type used to be set by hand, I was one of those who
> did the typesetting. I am now looking at the methodology of using either
> Groff or LaTex to produce print ready text. Can anyone briefly tell me if
> Groff does the same job as LaTex?
>
> Obviously there will be a bias in asking this group but does one have an
> advantage over the other?

For me, a big difference between the two is that groff is a
filter and tex is not. In other words, if you want to convert
your input from some customized markup to groff input, you can
put groff in the middle of a pipeline and get extremely fast
results. With tex and latex you need to use intermediary files.
Also, I've always had to run latex twice in order to get cross
references to update; no different than groff.

> ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
> /\                        - against microsoft attachments

This is a great signature line, which I haven't seen before. Does
it have an open-source licence so that I can use it too?

        -- Steve

--
Steve Izma
    Computing Systems Administrator       519-884-0710 ext. 6125